Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Listen and Deliver




An old friend asked me this question last week:   
 "How do you make money in the music biz?"

Seems like a simple question, but I didn't have an immediate answer.
I think I shrugged it off and said something like "I don't know, stop doing drugs."

(said friend was NOT a drug user, that's just all I could come up with on the spot)

I've been doing this so long, I don't really remember making the career choice. I've been getting paid to make music on some level since I was 16. Of course, the pay scale, hours and job titles have changed throughout the years but the creation and manipulation of sound waves has always been a direct source of income for me.
 
My skill set includes a recording and performing knowledge of Guitar, DoBro,  Pedal Steel, Mandolin, Keyboards, B3 Style Organ, Backing Vocals, Drum set and Bass (5 String, Fretless, and Acoustic Upright.)   

I can also Write, Produce,  and Engineer a commercially viable product from concept to completion. What knowledge I haven't been able to teach myself, I have learned from mentors and those more advanced in the trade.

I have made the conscious decision to be a valuable asset in a wide range of musical applications.

So how do you make money in the music business ?

1. Open, and Exploit Your Ears .

CASE STUDY
I met my friend Jason in Spanish class at the University of Georgia in 1997. We were all about 20 years old. He sat in front of me next to Tim.  While engaging in casual conversations throughout the semester I discovered that Jason played Bass and  Tim Played Drums.  How convenient. I needed a drummer and a bass player for my new band.

Unfortunately Jason was already fully committed to a band. While conversation could have stopped there,  further USE OF MY EARS uncovered that Jason had a really cheap practice space and was willing to share it.  Perfect... my new drummer Tim lived in the dorms.

Long story longer, since I owned a few decent recording devices I was able to con my way into recording some very basic demos for Jason's band, FAVORITE.   Not only did I get some much needed recording experience,  I also developed valuable personal relationships with the other 3 members of the band.

Through 2 contacts from that 1 Spanish class I was able to: headline the Georgia Theatre, build my recording resume,  get booked on Comcast Bands On Demand (now produced by FAVORITE guitarist Mike Bond)  and was even hired to play a few private parties along the way. 
After seeing Jason last week and LISTENING to him, I also discovered that he's currently building what seems to be a nice recording space in his house. 

 11 years later,  maybe Jason and I should get together and record a quality piece of music that could help one our many friends in the advertising industry ?  

Possibly make some money in the music business ?  

The formula is like this:
1 Spanish Class + 5 musicians X  all of their musical buddies = countless opportunities for life. 

This is not "Politics" or "Luck."
 
This is what I call COMPOUND LISTENING INTEREST...   

This has nothing to do with being in the right place at the right time, but taking advantage of wherever you are NOW.
Opportunities and small victories lurk in shadows of every turn.

Keep your ears OPEN and LISTEN.


(special thanks to Jeff Snowden and Richard Tatarski for employing me and inspiring me to write this)  


1 comment:

Tyler H Brown said...

Other suitable answers to the question of how to make money biz:

-Sell some of your gear.
-If you're a drummer, keep your damn mouth shut and never utter the words "hey guys, could we try some of these new songs I wrote?"
-Marry rich.
-Recycle that huge pile of beer cans on your back porch for that sweet, sweet nickel a piece.
-Learn lots of Neil Diamond covers cause lets face it, there is big time money in covering Neil Diamond.
-Tell your folks "This is really the last time you guys will have to bail me out."
-Whoring.
-And of course we can't forget about the number one answer: sell drugs.

THB